Connect with us

Movies

Alec Baldwin & ‘Rust’ Producers Wrongful Death Settlement Won’t Impact Criminal Investigation, D.A. Says; Final Police Report Expected Soon

Published

on

[ad_1]

The settlement today between Alec Baldwin and Rust producers with the family of slain  cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and the resurrection of the indie Western won’t stop any possible criminal charges claims the Santa Fe District Attorney.

“The proposed settlement announced today in Matthew Hutchins’ wrongful death case against Rust movie producers, including Alec Baldwin, in the death of Halyna Hutchins will have no impact on District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altweis’ ongoing investigation or her ultimate decision whether to file criminal charges in the case,” said Heather Brewer for the Office of the First Judicial District Attorney today after the agreement was made public exclusively by Deadline.

“While civil suits are settled privately and often involve financial awards, criminal cases deal only in facts,” Brewer added. “If the facts and evidence warrant criminal charges under New Mexico law then charges will be brought. No one is above the law.”

The long awaited report from the Santa Fe Sheriff’s office is in its final stages and could be handed over to D.A. Carmack-Altweis as soon as next week, we hear. However, in terms of optics it will certainly be a challenge for the D.A. to aggressively pursue Baldwin, who fired the gun that killed DoP Hutchins on October 21, 2021, and fellow Rust producers when the widower of Halyna Hutchins has not only come to a settlement with them, but will now also serve as an executive producer on the film. Indie western Rust is set to start filming again in January 2023.

Advertisement

As whispers of talks and a potential settlement between the Baldwin, the Rust producers and the Hutchins family have circulated for weeks, the D.A. has been putting her own chess pieces in place for when that report lands on her desk.

Last month, Deadline obtained a letter from Santa Fe D.A. Carmack-Altwies to the New Mexico Board of Finance requesting $635,000 to prosecute as many as four individuals with criminal and homicide charges related to the Rust tragedy (the DA was granted $317,750). The DA said in her letter that “one of the possible defendants is well known movie actor Alec Baldwin” which rubbed the Oscar nominee’s camp promptly the wrong way. 

Baldwin’s attorney Luke Nikas of Quinn Emanuel blasted the DA’s for such loose statements, saying “it is irresponsible to report otherwise” and that such charges were “premature” especially given the fact that Carmack-Altwies hadn’t received the sheriff’s report. 

Rust armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed also has a problem with the way Santa Fe is handling the tragic case. In August, she accused the cops of not asking the FBI to test any of the live rounds found on the set for fingerprints or DNA.  

“It is inconceivable that the Sheriff would not seek answers to this fundamental question and it raises a serious problem with the entire investigation. We have long sought this answer and will not give up in pursuing the truth to find it,” said the armorer’s attorney Jason Bowles in a statement.

Baldwin, since his December interview with ABC News’ George Stephanopoulos, has insisted on his innocence in the Rust tragedy, claiming that he never pulled the trigger of the prop gun which took Hutchins’ life.

Advertisement



[ad_2]

Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Movies

Netflix & Paramount+ To Profile ‘Strip Search Caller’ ; TVOKids Spotlights Down Syndrome With Toon Series; ‘One Piece Film Red’ London Takeover — Global Briefs

Published

on

[ad_1]

Netflix & Paramount+ UK To Profile ‘Strip Search Caller’

Netflix and Paramount+ have struck a first of its kind-of-deal over a true crime documentary telling the story of the strip search caller in the U.S. Paramount+ has taken UK rights to Pervert: The Hunt for the Strip Search Caller and Netflix has rest of world on the doc, which it will be calling Don’t Pick Up the Phone. The deal is believed to be the first time two streamers have worked in such a way in the UK and rest of world. The doc tells the shocking story of a hoax caller who targeted fast food restaurants across the U.S. – posing as a police officer investigating a theft, the caller instructed managers to strip-search the young female employees he said were suspects. For many victims, what began as a humiliating strip search escalated into sexual abuse.

Canada’s TVOKids Spotlights Down Syndrome In Animated Series ‘Griffin And Turner’

EXCLUSIVE: Ontario, Canada’s TVOkids and Big Jump Entertainment are working on 2D-animated series Griffin and Turner. Based on real Canadian brothers who a significant online following, the show follows the supportive pair as they, their friends and family undertake personal challenges but focus on the journey rather than winning. Turner has Down syndrome, and TVOKids executive producer Kirsten Hurd noted the series has been developed in consultation with the Down syndrome community. Producer Big Jump is behind shows such as Shutterbug and Big Words, Small Stories.

Advertisement

London Gets ‘One Piece Film Red’ Takeover After Record Haul

To celebrate the record-breaking haul of One Piece Film Red in the UK, the Straw Hat Pirates are set for a takeover of iconic London locations on November 26. Via local distributor Anime Limited and Toei Animation, the cast and memorable scenes from the series will be projected onto the County Hall of London, opposite the London Eye as well as other key locations. One Piece Film: Red has grossed over £800,000 in the UK and Ireland since it released earlier this month, making it the biggest of the long-running franchise. A phenomenon in Japan, One Piece Film Red has grossed $162M to date worldwide 



[ad_2]

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Movies

‘All Quiet On The Western Front’, ‘Belfast’ Top 2022 EFA Arts & Crafts Awards

Published

on

[ad_1]

Edward Berger’s All Quiet On The Western Front and Kenneth Branagh’s Belfast top the European Film Academy’s Excellence Awards honoring achievement in the arts and crafts categories, the winners of which were announced on Wednesday.

Belfast won best European Production Design for Jim Clay, whose credits include Children Of Men, for which he won a Bafta in 2006, and Murder On The Orient Express.

The drama, set against the backdrop of the beginnings of “The Troubles” in Northern Ireland in 1969, also won best European Costume Design for Charlotte Walter (Blithe Spirit, Misbehaviour)

Netflix-backed German WWI drama All Quiet On The Western Front won best European Make-up & Hair for Heike Merker, and Best European Special Effects for Frank Petzold, Viktor Müller and Markus Frank.

Advertisement

 In other categories, best European Cinematography was won by Kate McCullough for her work on Colm Bairéad’s Irish-language drama The Quiet Girl.

Best European Editing went to Özcan Vardar and Eytan İpeker for Turkish director Emin Alper’s drama Burning Days.

Polish composer Paweł Mykietyn won best European Original Score went for Jerzy Skolimowski’s EO.

Best European Sound went to Simone Paolo Olivero, Paolo Benvenuti, Benni Atria, Marco Saitta, Ansgar Frerich & Florian Holzner for Michelangelo Frammartino’s cave exploration drama The Hole.

The winners, which are decided by a special expert jury, will receive their awards at the European Film Awards ceremony on 10 December in Reykjavík.

Advertisement



[ad_2]

Source link

Continue Reading

Movies

Jennifer Lopez’s Social Media Mysteriously Goes Dark

Published

on

[ad_1]

EXCLUSIVE: The actress, producer and top-selling performing artist’s social media channels including Instagram, Facebook, Tik Tok and Twitter have suddenly gone dark in their featured/cover images.

Reps for Jennifer Lopez were unavailable for comment, but we hear from others that The Hustlers and Marry Me actress is on the verge of announcing a new project.

Here’s a look at her Instagram tonight:

While Lopez’s Instagram had erased all posts, a trail of her previous postings remained on Facebook, Tik Tok and Twitter. Across all four social media portals, Lopez counts close to 347M followers, the majority of that coming from her Instagram.

Advertisement

Lopez’s Nuyorican Productions in June 2021 signed a multi-year first-look deal with Netflix spanning feature films, TV series and unscripted content, with an emphasis on projects that support diverse female actors, writers and filmmakers. Lopez co-runs Nuyorican Productions with her producing partner Elaine Goldsmith-Thomas.

Lopez scored her best opening for a live-action movie at the domestic box office with STX’s 2019 stripper caper Hustlers which debuted to $33.1 million, and grossed $105M stateside, $157.6M worldwide.  As a recording artist, Lopez has sold over 70 million albums, with J.Lo became her bestselling album with 3.8M copies sold in the U.S. and 12M global. Her Netflix thriller The Mother from director Niki Caro is set to debut in May. Her romantic comedy Shotgun Wedding with Josh Duhamel will hit Prime Video on Jan. 27.

On Facebook, one of her followers, Steffany Merino wrote, “What’s happened? Hope you and your wonderful family are ok. I’ll pray for your health and safety.”

Again, we hear something special is in the works in the next few days.



[ad_2]

Source link

Advertisement

Continue Reading

TRENDING